Hm... I think, hundreds - Selenium, QuickTest Professional, SilkTest, Jmeter, LoadRunner, STAF, Watir, Canoo WebTest, and so on...
Is is possible to perform an automated testing without automated testing tools? Sure!
I will show how to perform automated testing of web applications on Internet Explorer (IE) browser.
The main advantage is that these tests can be run on any Windows computer without any additional sofware required.
Let's see steps of sample test:
- Open IE and navigate to google.com:
- Set value of edit box to 'Easy way to automate testing':
- Click 'Google Search' button:
- If a search results page contains a link to this blog (http://motevich.blogspot.com) then click this link:
- Last step is to close the IE window
Details info about InternetExplorer object is located here.
I hope, the source code of my test is clean and understandable. Here it is:
How to run this file?
- Save this code to file, for example to ieauto.vbs.
- To execute this file, run from command line: cscript ieauto.vbs
or paste this command to bat-file:
and run the bat-file from command line.
Note: You can download archived sample files from here.
The result of execution is:
Test runs and performs all steps correctly (it opens IE, fills values, clicks button, clicks link, closes IE).
You can create and use instances of the InternetExplorer object to perform and to test all actions, which you run manually.
Or to do some routine operations in a browser, for example - filling forms, creating test users, and so on.